Why in News?
Recently, the Union Minister for Minority Affairs replied in the Parliament that a total of 371 training centers under Gharib Nawaz Employment Scheme were opened across the country.
About Gharib Nawaz Employment Scheme:
- Launched by Ministry of Minority Affairs in 2017.
- Implementing Agency: Maulana Azad Education Foundation, an autonomous body under Ministry of Minority Affairs.
- The scheme aims to provide short term job-oriented skill development courses to youth of minority communities to enable them for skill-based employment.
- It is implemented as per common norms of the Ministry of Skill Development through the empanelled Program Implementation Agencies (PIA).
- The PIA is mandated to confirm placement of minimum 70% trainees out of total trained trainees.
- The term “Minority” is not defined explicitly in the Constitution of India. The Constitution mentions only religious and linguistic
- Later GoI notified Six Minority Communities:
- Jain, Parsi, Buddhist, Christian, Sikh and Muslim