3. Q.-Consider the following statements.
1. The Rajya Sabha represents the States indirectly via the legislators who elect it.
2. The Rajya Sabha serves as a federal chamber, resolving most of India’s federal problems on a political level.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
● The Rajya Sabha indirectly represents the States whose legislators elect it. The Rajya Sabha is not empowered to neutralize the demographic weight of the populous States with larger representation in the popular chamber;
● it cannot veto its legislations, unlike the U.S. Senate. It can only delay. Most of India’s federal conflicts are structural, reinforced by operational abuses.
● Yet, there is no federal chamber to politically resolve such conflicts
Role of Rajya Sabha
● For a federal constitution to provide representation to the federation’s components, bicameralism is required.
● While normal checks and balances exist between the president, legislature, and judiciary, the Council of States serves as a safety valve inside the legislature, reducing federal tensions.
● In addition to the well recognised examples of responsible administration and judicial review, the Rajya Sabha is an important component of the constitutional checks and balances structure.