Way Forward: –
- As BIMSTEC readies itself to celebrate the silver jubilee of its formation next year, it faces a serious challenge:
- To effect “a paradigm-shift in raising the level of our cooperation and regional integration”, as Mr. Jaishankar said on April 1.
- The grouping needs to reinvent itself, possibly even rename itself as ‘The Bay of Bengal Community’.
- It should consider holding regular annual summits.
- Only then will its leaders convince the region about their strong commitment to the new vision they have for this unique platform linking South Asia and Southeast Asia.
Critically evaluate the significance of the BIMSTEC for India in changing global multilateral situations.