In News, why?
- Defense Research & Development Organization (DRDO) and the Indian Navy recently conducted successful flight tests of the Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) from an Indian Naval Ship at Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- Important Information: VL-SRSAM was created and developed jointly by three Defense Research and Development Organization facilities for the deployment of Indian Naval warships.
- The missile is capable of destroying a variety of close-range airborne threats, including sea-skimming targets.
- Many anti-ship missiles, as well as some fighter or strike aircraft, employ the sea skimming manoeuvre to evade radar and infrared detection.
- The missile’s design enables it to strike fast-moving aerial targets at a range of 40 to 50 km and an altitude of roughly 15 km.
- Its design is based on the Beyond Visual Range Air to Air Missile known as the Astra.
- The Defence Research and Development Organization created the Astra (“weapon”) air-to-air all-weather beyond-visual-range active radar homing missile for India.
- A Beyond-Visual-Range (BVR) missile is an air-to-air missile that can engage targets at distances of at least 20 nautical miles.
- These four tiny wings, which are positioned in the shape of a cross on either side of the projective, provide a stable aerodynamic posture.
- Thrust vectoring refers to the capability of a missile to vary the angular velocity, attitude, and direction of the thrust from its engine.
- The force that propels an aeroplane through the air is called thrust.
- Canisterized system: By controlling the interior climate, it is easier to transport and store the weapon and extends its shelf life.
It is a conflict that takes place in and on the sea, the ocean, or any other area where there is a significant body of water, like a sizable lake or wide river.
- A technological countermeasure, it shields naval ships from adversary radar and radio frequency (RF) missile seekers.
- Anti-ship missile defense missiles
- These systems need to be able to detect warships quickly and react to them quickly.