Why in News?
NASA exchanges data of its Mars mission with India and some other countries to lower the risk of a collision, as their spacecraft are orbiting the Mars.
About NASA’s Mars 2020 Mission
It is designed to improve our understanding of the geology of Mars and look for possible signs of ancient life on the planet.
- Its duration is at least one mars year (about 687 Earth days).
- Planned Mission Steps:
- Perseverance Rover, part of this missionis the most sophisticated mobile laboratory sent to Mars.
- It’s landing site is Jezero Crater.
- Jazero Crater is an ancient river delta that has rocks and minerals that could only form in water.
India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM)/ Mangalyaan
- It was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Andhra Pradesh by ISRO in 2013.
- It was launched by a PSLV C-25 rocket.
- It aimsto studyMartian surface, mineral composition as well as scan its atmosphere for methane (an indicator of life ever present on Mars).