Why in News?
U.S. President Joe Biden has recently lifted the sanctions imposed by President Trump on two top officials of the International Criminal Court (ICC)
- It is located in Hague, Netherlands.
- It acts as the court of last resort for prosecution of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.
- It is the first permanent, treaty based, international criminal court.
- It is governed bythe Rome Statutewhich entered into force on July 1, 2002.
- Funding: Primarily funded by State Parties, it also receives voluntary contributions from governments, international organisations, individuals, corporations and other entities.
Note: India has not signed the Rome Statute, and hence, is not a member of ICC citing following reasons:
- State sovereignty
- National interests
- Difficulty in collection of evidences.
- Problem to find impartial prosecutors.
- Crime definition under the act.