Why in News?
The IAEA stated that it will work closely with Japan which is preparing to release tonnes radioactive wastewater from Fukushima nuclear powerinto the sea.
- The IAEA is a UN agency working as the international centre for cooperation in the nuclear/atomic field.
- It works with its member countries and many other partners to promote peaceful uses of nuclear technologies.
- In 1957, it was set up as the world’s “Atoms for Peace” organization within the United Nations.
- It reports to both the UN General Assembly and Security Council.
- It has headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
- Promote the safe, secure and peaceful use of nuclear technologies in the globe.
- Promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy,
- Inhibit nuclear energy’s use for any military purpose, also including nuclear weapons.
The IAEA has three chief areas of work:
- Safety and security
- Science and technology
- Safeguards and verification
Other important aspects of IAEA:
- India is a founding member of the IAEA, i.e., joined it in 1957.
- Presently, IAEA functions as an autonomous organisation within the United Nations system.
- Funding of IAEA: Contributions and donations from non-members.
Note: IAEA is not specialised agency of UN.