Why in News?
Sri Lanka has decided to offer the West Container Terminal (WCT) at the Colombo Port, to Indian and Japanese companies.
About Sri Lanka
- India is Sri Lanka’s largest trading partner.
- India is separated from Sri Lanka, by the Palk Strait and Gulf of Mannar.
Regional Organisations both are members of:
- SAARC: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- SASEC (South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme): Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, and Sri Lanka
- BIMSTEC: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, and Thailand.
- The key ports in Sri Lanka are indicated below: