Why in News?
Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were adjourned sine die recently nearly two weeks priothe schedule due to request by MPs from poll bound states.
Key Terms in Termination of Legislative Session
- Adjournment suspends the work in the sitting for thespecified time, which can be hours, days or weeks.
- Adjournment sine dierefers to terminating a sitting of Parliament for an indefinite period, i.e., the House is adjourned without naming a day for its reassembly.
NOTE: The power of both adjournment and adjournment sine die lies with the presiding officer (Speaker or Chairman) of the House.
- Prorogation: The Presidentby a notification can prorogue the session after the business of the session is completed and presiding officer declares the House adjourned sine die.
- The President is also empowered to prorogue the House while it is in session.
- Dissolution ends the life of the existing House, and a new House is to be constituted after general elections are held.
- Only the lower house, i.e.,Lok Sabha is subject to dissolution. Rajya Sabha is a permanent House not subject to dissolution.
- The President is empowered to dissolve the Lok Sabha.