Why in News?
GoIappointed 12 eminent artistes and musicians to the board of Kalakshetra Foundation, an institution created by Rukmini Devi Arundale.
About Rukmini Devi Arundale:
- Rukmini Devi Arundale was an Indian Bharatnatyam dancer and was also associated in field of theosophy and animal welfare.
- She was the first woman to be anominated member of the Rajya Sabha.
- He founded Kalakshetra Foundation to revitalise the ancient Indian craft of textile printing.
- Presently, it is recognised as an ‘Institute of National Importance’ by an Act of Parliament.
Key Points about Bharatnatyam:
- Bharatnatyam is one among the eight classical dances of India recognised by Sangeet NatakAkademi.
- Bharatanatyam is one of the oldest classical danceform that originated in Tanjore district in Tamil Nadu, India.
- The origin of this dance can be traced to the Bharata Muni’s Natyashastra.
- The Abhinaya Darpana by Nandikesvaramentions about the technique and grammar of body movement in Bharatanatyam Dance.
- This dance form is associated with Devadasi system whereby the young girls were ‘gifted’ by their parents to the temples and married to the chief deity. This dance was performed for the deity.
- In Bharatnatyam dance, one dancer takes on many roles in a single performance.
- This form of dance includes both slow and moving; and fast and fluid; dance steps and hence is said to symboliseFireaspect of nature.
- Apart from movements of the leg, hip and arm expressive eye movements and hand gestures are also used to convey emotions.
- A person conducts the dance recitation and is called the Nattuvanar.
The performance starts with Alarippu and ends with Thillana.