Why in News?
Recently, a large area UT of A&N Islands has become the first large contiguous territory to be conferred with organic certification under Large Area Certification scheme.
About the Large Area Certification scheme:
- It was launched by Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare under its flagship scheme of Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojna (PKVY)
- It is a unique certification programme to harness organic growth potential areas.
- Under LAC, each village in the area is considered as one cluster.
- All farmers along with with their farmland and livestock must adhere to the standard requirements and on being verified as such get certified en-mass.
- The certification is renewed on annual basis through reverification by a process of peer appraisals.
- Benefits of LAC:
- As per the established norm of organic production systems, the areas having chemical input usage history are required to undergo a transition period of minimum 2-3 years to qualify as organic.
- During this period, farmers need to adopt standard organic agriculture practices and keep their farms under the certification process.
- On successful completion, such farms can be certified as organic after 2-3 years. The certification process also requires elaborate documentation and time to time verification by the certification authorities.
- Whereas under LAC requirements are simple and the area can be certified almost immediately.
About Organic Farming in India:
- Globally, India ranks first in number of organic farmers and ninth in thearea under organic farming.
- Sikkim became the first State in India to become fully organic.Other States like Tripura and Uttarakhand have set similar targets.
- North Eastern parts of India has traditionally been organic, and the consumption of chemicals is far less in these areas than rest of the country.
- The major organic exports from India:
- Flax seeds,
- medicinal plants,